Here is the first ever bread I have baked!
Is it not awesome! :)
I am excited as I am getting awed by yeast. This little organisms can do so much in such a short time. i am also excited as I am a big bread-lover and this experience tells me that I can try many different recipes in the future. Why should I pay for the additives and chemicals while I can do my own bread as I want it?
Here is the recipe for this hearty bread:
1. Add 2 cups of warm water, 1 table spoon of sugar, and one pack of dry yeast in a bowl. Mix and let stand for 20 – 25 min. I waited longer only because I had to take care of some other stuff. Otherwise, the yeast package says 10 min is enough. Make sure the water is warm but not too hot or cold; it is required by the yeast to start working.
2. Add two eggs, salt, one table spoon of sugar, and just enough whole wheat flour to the yeast mix. Mix well and knead as required. Cover with a wet towel for 45 min. I kneaded twice in between to make sure consistency.
3. Spread 2 table spoon of vegetable oil in an oven pan. Shape the bread as you would like it and place in the pan. I made 4 vertical cuts on top to give the bread some character.
4. Mix 2 table spoon on vegetable oil with one egg. Mix well and apply on the surface of the bread. Top up with a generous amount of sesame seeds.
5. Place the bread in an oven and bake 45 min or until done at 375 F. I moisturized the surface of the bread 3 times during the process, by applying little amounts of water.
added after the post: I am sure I put too much water (and way diluted the sugar needed by the yeast) at the beginning. I would have been better if I had used a much less amount of water (check the directions on the dry yeast package) and then add water after that while preparing the dough.