I did not even think that it was possible or tasty, but I was wrong. Carrot jam is must to try 🙂
I was looking for an interesting jam/marmalade to try and it was the carrot jam that intrigued me. Thanking bloggers out there who have posted their recipes. I improvised my recipe and I am very pleased with the end result.
Addition of orange to this jam kind of masks the “veggie” smell/taste of carrot. Next time I want to try it with some nuts, like walnut, for a much tastier and crunchier version.
- 8 mid-size carrots
- 1 extra large orange
- 1.5 lemon
- 6 cups water
- 4 cups sugar
- 2 tbs salt
- peel the carrots and cut in thin stripes – julienne (my new mandolin slicer did not work out well, what a waste of money, so I cut them using a knife)
- peel the orange, scrap off the white coat, piece and add to carrots
- add 4 cups of sugar, mix, and let stand for 1-2 hours (continue to mix it every once a while – it should get juicy at the end of the waiting period)
- add water and salt, and bring to a rolling boil, continue to boil for 30 min at medium heat
- add the orange peels (once the orange is peeled, put the peels in 1/4 vinegar/water mix, let stand for 30 min, scrap off the white coat, and slice thinly) and 10 tbs of lemon juice
- boil for another 25-30 min, until it reduces to 1/3 of the initial volume and thickens
- pour down the sterilized jars, close the lids, and rings.
- Water or pressure can for long-term preservation. If not, keep it in the fridge and consume within weeks.