I just returned back from a family visit – it was great!
I found a chance to see my family and friends, and I have had a great time. Food, conversations, and visited places were all awesome. I am glad I have done this trip!
I also found a chance to stay away from work, especially in the last half of the vacation. I did not access and respond to emails, which was a blessing! I like this improvement in my approach to work.
My work-induced stress levels were down to zero as soon as I stepped on the plane. I still feel positive and relax. I hope to be able to respond to work related feelings and pressures better. I want to convince myself that I can do this.
One of the best things about having a break from the routine and engage in activities and thoughts that are different than what I usually have (mostly work related issues) is that it is a good opportunity to formulate new plans to remove the negativity of the past activities and have a chance to improve things that do not go so well. Today is a good day to do these:
Aims related to personal life:
1. Going back to frugal and abundant life-style.
I have been quite successful with this a couple of years back and then I broke it with junk food and can-fare expenses… I want to go back to that as of today.
My specific aims are:
- to spend no more than 100 bucks a week on grocery and other needs (cleaning products, personal care products, etc.). This does not include medication and health-care related expenses (e.g. physiotherapy)
- to utilize what I already have (dried food, frozen food, etc) to reduce my food cost, while not sacrificing from healthy and diverse food
- to have another shopping freeze for flower pots, shoes/clothes, books (occasional ones are okay) and furniture
- to keep all other frugal activities I already have (e.g. use of coupons/discounts, points, etc.) to maximize the value of my money
- not to make any pre-payments unless an unexpected sum of money finds my way. This is to ensure that my chequing account will remain at a healthy level. I feel quite strongly about this because when it dips, first I pay extra money to the bank each month, and second, it makes me feel like I am in a financial crisis – not a great feeling
- to eat the food that I have in the freezer and pantry (I have a lot of dried legumes/beans/rice that are waiting to be enjoyed)
- to save around 7K bucks till December
- to make a prepayment in December with the money I will save till then while also keeping around 5K in my chequeing account. This is an ambitious but doable aim. I feel like this will give me the best motivation to move forward and keep my frugal spending habits.
2. Having a healthier body and weight
I have gained quite a bit of weight this year and its negative effects on my health were noticeable during my vacation: my feet ached a lot, my back gave me trouble (twice I have had my back pain/sciatica – they were minor compared to last year, but still I did not like having two episodes in a short time…).
I am aware of two reasons as to why I have gained weight this year: I did not walk as much as I did in the past years (I used to walk from office everyday – rain or shine) and I ate quite unhealthy food (pizzas and prepared food…). I still have two boxes of frozen pizza and some frozen, pre-made dinners in my freezer. I will consume them as well but with the understanding that my priority will be not to purchase them anymore so that I can eat better.
Thus, my specific aims are:
- not to buy any pizzas or other prepared meals
- to eat at least 6 different food (veggies, fruits, or dried food) every week
- to cook meals at least 3 nights a week (I often consume them in two-three days)
- to eat apples everyday at the office and to continue to eat carrots and radishes that I love so much (for some reason, these veggies made me feel much better and help me lose weight at the same time)
- whenever feasible, to walk in the morning to office and in the afternoon from the office (this will help me feel great, lose weight, and also save from the transportation – win-win situation!)
- to shop at the farmers’ market to have fresh local and affordable food
- to keep take my calcium supplements and drink milk to keep my bones healthy
- to re-start doing my back exercises to help strengthen my abs and my back muscles
- to do light weight-lifting at home to keep my muscles and my bones healthy and strong
3. Heaving a healthier mind and higher quality of life
I wish not to have stress and anxiety to my best anymore…. Work-related stress, sleep problems, and problems related to relations with the colleagues have hit the ceiling last couple of years… I am better at managing my anxiety by means of the worry journal exercise. But in terms of stress management I have not been much successful.
Hence, my specific aims are:
- to walk everyday, to eat a healthier diet, and to exercise whenever I can find a chance to provide myself a healthier, nourishing way of life
- to rest everyday. This I noticed is quite important for my stress levels. Whenever I am tired, I noticed I feel more pressurized and over-react as a result
- to not access the emails in the evenings and the weekends, unless I have a good reason to do so
- to take things a little bit lighter and not to react to problems when I am anxious or panicky
- to trust the life and people around me a little bit more
- to stop thinking that I am the only person who can do things well and on time. This is one of the main reasons that I feel resentment towards people I work with. Often times I have a good reason to think that the work is not done well and corrections/my involvement is needed. However, this also makes me over-work and over-stressed… Perhaps it is time to lower my standards without harming the quality of the work. I can also take it easy with relations. I can be more tolerant and less assuming… (wish me luck with this one. It is hard…. but I must do this)
- to make it priority to feel calm at the office
- to feel confident that I have solved many issues in the past and I can do so now and in the future as well. I must remind myself this everyday, especially when I face of an issue
- to integrate a new walking route or an activity in my life over time – whether this would be going to theaters/shows, visiting a cafe on a Saturday morning, or reading about an entirely new topic does not matter. Something useful and enjoyable!
- to continue to read my daily affirmations first thing in the morning to set my intentions for the day for the better
I am calm and can take care of any of the work-related issues easily
I am confident and successful
I have great work-relationships with everyone I see today
I am known by my high quality and meticulous work and I am respected for these
I am kind to everyone I meet today, especially, myself
I have time to do my work
Today has all the opportunities and beauties I may need
I welcome and appreciate the opportunities life can offer me
Have a great Sunday everyone!
gifs by: https://giphy.com/gifs/donnathomas-rodgers-fun-days-of-the-week-in-sun-WdlsNJ10HDp7DNfMRd;https://giphy.com/gifs/CBeebiesHQ-cbeebies-presenters-cbeebiespresenters-8BkIs96btJryzkSEg9;https://giphy.com/gifs/xyngular-healthy-eating-1Zp0u0KQFMWr9XMUNR;https://giphy.com/gifs/excited-buffy-the-vampire-slayer-12TKVISdJ4gIJa